8 egg whites
2 c. white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. whipped cream
1 c. crushed pineapple
3/4 c. marachino cherries
1 tsp. vinegar
1. Bring egg whites to room temperature. Add 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1 tsp. of vinegar and beat until mixture forms peaks.
2. Add 2 c. sugar, 1 tbsp. at a time and beat until mixture is stiff and all of the sugar is dissolved.
3. Spread mixture into two 8x8 pans that have been lined with brown paper.
4. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 1 1/4 hours.
5. Cool well in pans. Meringue will be delicately crusty on the outside, tender and still moist on the inside.
6. Fold 1 c. crushed pineapple (drained) and 3/4 c. marachino cherries (drained and cut in fourths), into 2 c. whipped cream. Spread
part of the mixture over the meringue.
7. Top with a second meringue.
8. Frost with remainder of whipped cream and chill
for 12 hours or overnight.
9. Garnish with cherries.
|A nice addition to your Christmas table.