1 c. butter
3 tbsp. white sugar (first amount)
2 c. flour
20 oz. can crushed pineapple
1 small bottle of red cherries
1/2 c. white sugar (second amount)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. vanilla
1. To make the base, cream the butter and sugar (first amount).
2. Add 3 egg yolks and flour and mix well.
3. Press into two 8" square pans and bake at 350 degrees until slightly brown. Add filling.
4. To make the filling, mix the pineapple (with juice), the cherries (with juice), the second amount of sugar, and the cornstarch. Bring to a boil and add the vanilla.
5. Cover with meringue made with the three egg whites beaten with 1/2 - 3/4 c. sugar.
6. Cover with 1 c. fine coconut.
7. Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until meringue is cooked and slightly brown.