Magic Mocha Chiffon Cake
2 1/4 c. cake flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. white sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
5 unbeaten egg yolks
3/4 c. strong cold black coffee
1 tsp. vanilla
3 oz. semi-sweet chocolate (grated finely and chilled)
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
Five egg whites
1. Sift dry ingredients into a bowl, make a well in the center and add oil, coffee and egg yolks.
2. Beat until smooth.
3. Add the chocolate and fold in gently.
4. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.
5. Fold flour mixture into egg whites until it is all blended, but do not beat or stir.
6. Bake in an ungreased 10" tube pan at 325 deg. for 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours.
7. To remove, invert the cake pan and when it is cool, remove from pan with a spatula around the outer edge.
8. Ice with your favorite chocolate icing.