1/2 c. butter (first amount)
2/3 c. white sugar
1 1/3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. milk
4 squares of semi-sweet chocolate
1/3 c. butter (second amount)
1 1/2 c. icing sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tbl. butter (third amount)
1. Cream together the butter (first amt.) and white sugar.
2. Add the flour, baking powder, and salt alternating with the milk.
3. Add 2 squares of grated chocolate.
4. Fold in beaten egg whites.
6. When cool, mix the egg yolks, butter (second amt.), icing sugar, vanilla and spread on top.
7. Melt 2 squares of chocolate and 2 tbl. of margarene and spread on top. Keep refrigerated.
The recipe calls for egg yolks, but I just make a butter icing. If you use egg yolks, be sure to wash
off the outside of the eggs with vinegar to lessen the chances of salmonella contamination.
|Now that my children are older, I let them
select their favourite Christmas goodie and these Tweed Squares are always
at the top of the list.