1 1/3 c. flour
3/4 c. margarine
1 1/2 c. oatmeal
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. brown sugar (first amount)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 lb. dates (finely chopped)
1/2 c. brown sugar (second amount)
1 tbl. margarine (second amount)
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Place dates, 1/2 c. brown sugar and 1 tbl. margarine in a pot and cover with water.
2. Simmer until it thickens (don't let it get too dry) and add vanilla.
3. Cool before adding to the crumb mixture.
4. Crumb mixture - Mix flour, oatmeal, 3/4 c. margarine, salt, baking soda and 1 c. brown sugar until crumbly.
5. Press 3/4 of mix in the bottom of the pan, fill with date mixture and spread remaining crumbs on top.
6. Press down lightly with fingers.
7. Bake 350 deg. for 40 - 45 minutes.