1. Cotton: white, 17" x 12"; black, 10" x 28"; stripe 4" x 15"; small amount of floral for apron and neck piece, 6" square of black or white for underpants.
2. Large scrap of gold felt.
3. Small amount of rickrack or lace.
4. Small piece of black stretch fabric, or old sock.
1. Embroider eyes with blue floss.
2. Embroider red mouth in satin stitch.
3. For hair, cut 70 strands of yellow yarn, each about 8" long. Arrange in two layers and place across head, centering yarn strands at center top of head.
4. Stitch across yarn centers to secure yarn and to form a center part, leaving some at the front for bangs.
5. Glue strands at sides and back and trim bangs.
1. Cut two panties of white or black fabric; place together with right sides facing and sew together from X to X.
2. Fold along half-pattern line and sew crotch.
3. Turn under top and bottom edges 1/4" and sew.
4. Turn to right side. Slip panties on doll; gather top edge with thread to fit waist; knot thread and sew.
1. Cut bodice piece of black fabric.
2. Fold in half along top edge, with right sides facing; sew side and underarm seams. Slash down half-pattern line at center back only. Turn to right side.
3. Hem neck, sleeve and bottom edges.
4. Place bodice on doll; turn raw edges of back inside so blouse fits smoothly and sew back opening closed.
5. Hem sleeves at edge.
1. Fold striped fabric in half crosswise with right sides facing; sew ends together.
2. Hem remaining edges and turn to the right side.
3. Put on doll and gather to fit waist. Knot thread.
1. Cut apron of black fabric.
2. Cut smaller apron out of floral fabric.
2. Hem side edges of both and make 1/2" hem at bottom.
4. Gather both together at top edge slightly.
5. For apron tie, use floral fabric 1 1/2" x 23".
6. Press 1/4" in all around to wrong side ; then fold tie in half lengthwise.
7. Insert top edge of aprons between folds at center of tie and stitch across entire length of tie and ends.
1. Cut two stockings of black stretch fabric.
2. Fold each in half with right sides facing; sew bottom and side edges together. Turn to right side.
3. Put on leg and turn the top edge in and tack around leg.
1. Cut two sides and two soles.
2. Fold each shoe side in half; whip ends together. Whip a sole to each side piece and turn to right side.
3. Slip shoe on each foot and tack around top edge.
1. Cut two hats of white cotton.
2. Sew together along sides and top leaving bottom edges open. Turn to the right side.
3. Turn under at bottom edges and hem.
4. Glue on head and turn back points at each side (see picture).
You can use your imagination to create dolls from other countries. In addition to
the dolls here, I made an Inuit doll
and an African doll.